3.16.2011

Budget Surprise

Up until very recently, Bobby and I had spent the majority of our grocery money on those corporate junk foods meant to save us time and money.  With my new project as well as a desire to do Barbara Kingsolver proud, I set out to purchase primarily locally produced foods at the farmer's markets and do my best to at least avoid the frozen foods aisle. I decided that I would make an honest effort to buy organic where I couldn't buy local, so off to the store I went.
I visited Ralph's, my supermarket of choice, with my grocery list in hand and determination on my sleeve. I did very well until I hit the soup aisle.  Looking at the Ralph's brand price and the organic price for beef and chicken stock, my resolve started to waver.  I thought to myself there is no WAY that this can be a less expensive trip to the grocery store! I began to worry that our $100.00/week food budget would be very difficult to stick to.  Of course I made sure that I had an extra stash of money labelled "just in case!" in my wallet, but I didn't want to resort to that if I could help it.
I need not have worried however, as it turns out, those time/money-saving frozen foods we previously purchased were what cost the most.  Cutting them from our list was liberating in a rebellious sort of way.  I felt like beating my chest, or else biting into a beer can a-la Teen Wolf style just to show how crazy I was getting. I compensated by giving Bobby a high-five.
Not only did we lighten our financial burden, we also made a move in the right direction health-wise.

This week, we gained something more than a few saved dollars, we gained a spiritual sense of freedom as we cooked our way into health and happiness with organic and locally produced foods.

2 comments:

  1. High Five! Yes it is indeed liberating and as you said healthier and less expensive. Another point to make about health is to consider long term health costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on head cheese! Keep it up. You can also try to find a local farmer selling shares of local grass fed meat. I'm sure you will be surprised how easy it is to find there. There's nothing better than locally raised grass-fed protein. Just remember that it cooks faster than regular meat because it's cleaner!

    ReplyDelete